“Exclusive: Trump postponed US attack in Iran after 'Hajj warning' Submitted by Shafik Mandhai on Wed, 05/20/2026 - 12:23 Sources tell Middle East Eye the US president was told of severe 'reputational damage' if he resumes war during the Muslim pilgrimage, as well as global air travel disruptions Muslim pilgrims pray at the Grand Mosque in Mecca during the 2024 Hajj pilgrimage in June (AFP) Off US President Donald Trump postponed a planned attack on Iran this week after being warned by Gulf allies and his own officials not to resume the war during the Hajj pilgrimage, Middle East Eye can reveal. According to two senior Gulf officials, Trump was told that attacking Iran during the Hajj piligrimage would lead to a crisis within Gulf states, as it would leave hundreds of thousands of pilgrims stranded. The sources also said that Trump was told that attacking during the holy period, which leads up to the Islamic festival of Eid al-Adha, would further damage Washington's standing in the Muslim world. A senior US official, who is familiar with discussions taking place within the Trump administration, confirmed that the conversations had taken place. They said that the US president had been warned by his own officials that resuming the US- Israeli war now would cause serious "reputational damage" for Trump. The US previously attacked Iran during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, but doing so during the Hajj period would cause enormous logistical challenges for Saudi Arabia , which hosts around a million foreign pilgrims each year. Those challeneges also extend to Gulf air travel hubs, such as Qatar and the UAE, and countries in South and East Asia, from where many pilgrims embark on their journey. This year's Hajj is set to begin on 24 May and will span six days. Hundreds of thousands of pilgrims are already in Saudi Arabia in the lead-up to the event. Resumption of conflict inevitable The officials Middle East Eye spoke to wished to remain anonymous because they are not authorised to brief on internal communications. All three said they expected the war to resume in the coming weeks, once the Hajj period passes. The US has in the past used false signalling and other ruses in order to try and lull the Iranians into a false sense of security. UAE and Israel established fund for joint defence acquisition, sources say Read More » When it attacked Iran in late February this year, it did so after ostensibly making progress in negotiations with the Iranians in Geneva. Earlier this week, Trump said he had held off attacking Iran on Tuesday night after intervention by Gulf leaders. On his Truth Social platform, the US leader wrote: "I have been asked by the Emir of Qatar , Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman Al Saud, and the President of the United Arab Emirates , Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, to hold off on our planned Military attack of the Islamic Republic of Iran." He continued: "In their opinion, as Great Leaders and Allies, a Deal will be made". When the war began following US and Israeli strikes on 28 February, Iran responded immediately by attacking US bases and interests in Gulf countries. Is Trump poised to restart the Iran war? | Trita Parsi | MEE Opinion pic.twitter.com/fXjPXSN62u — Middle East Eye (@MiddleEastEye) May 19, 2026 Tehran has promised that any further attacks on its energy and civilian infrastructure by the US and Israel will result in retaliatory attacks on Gulf infrastructure. Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Oman have been particularly eager to halt any further escalation of the conflict. The ongoing Iranian blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, a crucial energy chokepoint, has already hit oil and liquified natural gas exports from those countries. Washington's initial assault on Iran was widely considered to be a failure, as it failed to topple Iran's government despite the killing of former Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. Under Mojtaba Khamaeini, his son and successor, Iran has held out despite weeks of bombardment, while maintaining its vast missile stockpiles. The Israeli government, which sees Iran as its biggest regional rival, has used its influence over Trump to continue with the war even though internal US assessments note the dangers involved to US troops and the global economy. According to the New York Times , Pentagon officials have cited munition shortages and the increased sophistication of Iranian air defence tactics as factors that may hinder the progress of any resumed US offensive against Iran. War on Iran News Post Date Override 0 Update Date Mon, 05/04/2020 - 21:19 Update Date Override 0
Original story
Continue reading at Middle East Eye
www.middleeasteye.net
Summary generated from the RSS feed of Middle East Eye. All article rights belong to the original publisher. Click through to read the full piece on www.middleeasteye.net.
