skipToContent
🌐All

Fire in Jordan subdivided flat leaves 1 dead, over 300 evacuated

HKFP Global
Fire in Jordan subdivided flat leaves 1 dead, over 300 evacuated
A fire that broke out in a subdivided flat in Jordan has left one elderly man dead and prompted the evacuation of more than 300 people. The fire at Man Yuen Building in Jordan on May 21, 2026. Photos: Internet. Authorities received reports of the blaze at Man Yuen Building at 10.49pm on Thursday, the Fire Services Department (FSD) said at a press briefing in the early hours of Friday. Tso Kwong-chi, an assistant divisional officer at the FSD, said the fire began in a unit on the 13th floor of the building. The unit was partitioned into nine subdivided flats, and the blaze was in a corner flat. Firefighters found the body of a 69-year-old man inside the flat when they arrived, Tso said , adding that four other people – two men and two women – were also injured. They suffered from smoke inhalation and had difficulty breathing, and were sent to Kwong Wah Hospital for treatment. They have since been discharged. A woman who lived with the deceased man told local media that he was wheelchair-bound. At the time of the fire, she was not at home. When she learned about the fire, she returned to the flat, which was already filled with smoke, and saw that the man was already on the floor. Tso said firefighters arrived at the scene three minutes after receiving the report. The department mobilised 20 fire engines, 10 ambulances, as well as 106 firefighters and paramedics. Kwong Wah Hospital. Photo: GovHK. The authorities are investigating the cause of the fire, but it does not appear suspicious, according to the FSD. The fire was largely put out by 11.53pm, Tso said. He added that after the blaze, FSD officers checked the fire safety installations in the building and confirmed that they were functioning. Man Yuen Building, which is undergoing maintenance work, is encased in protective netting and scaffolding. One resident told HK01 that maintenance began in February last year. The netting outside the building was removed in the wake of the deadly Wang Fuk Court fire in Tai Po . The netting was reinstalled in April, the resident said.
Share
Original story
Continue reading at HKFP
hongkongfp.com
Read full article

Summary generated from the RSS feed of HKFP. All article rights belong to the original publisher. Click through to read the full piece on hongkongfp.com.