“PUTRAJAYA, May 22 — The Ministry of Women, Family and Community Development (KPWKM) has called for strict action over a case involving a female teacher alleged to have engaged in sexual grooming and misconduct involving a 14-year-old male student. Its Minister Datuk Seri Nancy Shukri said the case must not be taken lightly and urged the relevant agencies to take firm and immediate action. “Usually, the perpetrator is male, but in this case, it is a female. I am also surprised. We are concerned about such matters and hope that the relevant ministry or agencies, apart from the Sexual, Women and Children Investigation Division (D11) of the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM), will take appropriate action. The ministry under which she is employed should also take firm action,” she said. Nancy said this to reporters after launching the ‘A Journey of Malaysia’s Participation under the Convention on the Rights of the Child’ programme here today. She stressed that the case had caused serious harm to the victim, adding that such incidents could have long-term effects on a child’s future. “They have to do something because this is not good for the child. This is truly a bad experience for him, and I do not know how it is going to affect his future because he is only a child,” said Nancy. On May 20, the media reported that a 42-year-old female teacher pleaded not guilty at the Seremban Sessions Court to five counts of physical and non-physical sexual assault involving a 14-year-old male student, with the offences allegedly committed since September last year. In another development, Nancy said her ministry, through the Social Welfare Department, is conducting ongoing spot-checks at childcare centres nationwide to ensure compliance and detect any unregistered premises operating without approval. She said the move follows several reported cases involving the deaths of infants and children at childcare centres, which have raised public concern over safety standards. “They are still carrying out spot-checks. Once they discover such premises, immediate action will be taken, including ordering them to close,” she said. Elaborating further, Nancy said some unregistered centres may still go undetected due to limited public awareness and a lack of community reporting, and hoped that the public would play their part by reporting any suspected unregistered childcare facilities. “This is what we mean by a whole-of-community approach. We need that support because we would not know unless the public alerts us to the existence of unregistered childcare centres,” she said. — Bernama * If you are experiencing sexual violence, the following hotlines offer free and confidential support: Talian Kasih at 15999 or WhatsApp 019-2615999 (24/7); All Women’s Action Society at 016-2374221/016-2284221 (9.30am-5.30pm); and Women’s Aid Organisation (WAO) at 03-30008858 or SMS/WhatsApp TINA 018-9888058 (24/7)
Original story
Continue reading at Malay Mail Education
www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia
Summary generated from the RSS feed of Malay Mail Education. All article rights belong to the original publisher. Click through to read the full piece on www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia.
