“An outspoken resident who survived Hong Kong’s deadliest fire in decades has said he will not give any more media interviews after his release following an arrest over alleged government loan fraud. Jason Kong, a former member of the Wang Fuk Court owners’ board. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP. “Going forward, I won’t be responding to anything, OK?” Wang Fuk Court resident Jason Kong told reporters outside Tsuen Wan Police Station shortly after midnight on Saturday. “Thank you all for your care and support over the past few months.” Kong and his wife were reportedly arrested on Thursday on suspicion of money laundering and conspiracy to defraud. The couple, both directors of an interior design company, allegedly used fraudulent means to obtain several hundred thousand dollars in loans under the government’s Special 100% Loan Guarantee scheme, which was launched during the Covid-19 pandemic. Sources familiar with the matter told HKFP on Friday that they were being detained at a police station. The arrests came around two weeks after Kong was involved in organising and delivering a petition to Hop On Management , the government-appointed administrator for the Tai Po housing estate, asking the firm to hold a meeting with homeowners. Kong, who was a member of the Wang Fuk Court owners’ board when the fire broke out in November, had also spoken with the media on other issues, such as long-term resettlement. However, upon his release on Saturday, he refused to answer reporters’ questions about whether he was under investigation for other matters, as well as whether he would still handle matters relating to a petition for an owners’ meeting. Wang Fuk Court on May 4, 2026. Photo: Kyle Lam/HKFP. Asked whether he was still able to speak for residents, Kong said that he had “no comment.” “I hope that everyone can stay safe and healthy, and once again I thank everyone for their support,” he said. “I hope that residents can settle down as soon as possible,” Kong added as he got into a taxi. Hop On, which received a petition with 247 handwritten signatures on April 29, has yet to hold an in-person meeting with homeowners. The management firm said last week that it would apply to the Lands Tribunal to extend the statutory deadline for the meeting. Kong and other fire survivors previously launched a similar petition online in March, signed by more than 400 homeowners and representatives of those killed in the fire. Hop On rejected the demand, while the Home Affairs Department said the signatures might have been forged. Kong also testified before an independent committee investigating the blaze last month, saying that government agencies had “failed in their duties” despite receiving complaints about the renovation project at the estate.
Original story
Continue reading at HKFP
hongkongfp.com
Summary generated from the RSS feed of HKFP. All article rights belong to the original publisher. Click through to read the full piece on hongkongfp.com.
