skipToContent
🌐All policy

Perlis MB says state assembly will be dissolved if PAS reps table no-confidence motion in June

Perlis MB says state assembly will be dissolved if PAS reps table no-confidence motion in June
KUALA LUMPUR, May 23 — Perlis Menteri Besar Abu Bakar Hamzah said he would dissolve the state assembly if six PAS assemblymen table a vote of no confidence against him during the sitting scheduled from June 3 to 5, raising the prospect of fresh political turmoil within Perikatan Nasional (PN). According to Utusan Malaysia , Abu Bakar, who is the Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia assemblyman for Kuala Perlis, said that he had no choice but to seek a dissolution should such a motion be brought forward. He said the Perlis PN administration was formed after a change in the state government, adding that the Raja of Perlis had previously entrusted him with maintaining the coalition government following his appointment as menteri besar. “However, if undesirable things happen (a vote of no confidence), I have no choice but to dissolve the state assembly. If it happens, or even if it is likely to happen, I will make that decision because there is no other option. “If there is any move to table a no-confidence vote during the sitting later, then we dissolve the assembly. What is the problem? As a politician, I have never known fear,” he reportedly told the national daily after officiating the Malam Citra Warna Kuala Perlis 2026 event in Kangar yesterday. Yesterday, PAS president Tan Sri Abdul Hadi Awang accused Bersatu of violating the spirit of camaraderie within PN, citing the political impasse in Negeri Sembilan and alleging that Bersatu had previously supported efforts to unseat a PAS menteri besar in Perlis. The Marang MP also said PAS would discuss its next course of action with the party’s leadership in Perlis. The upcoming Perlis assembly sitting is expected to come under intense scrutiny amid speculation that six PAS assemblymen may move a no-confidence motion against Abu Bakar. Previously, six PAS representatives demanded an explanation from Abu Bakar over the postponement of the Perlis assembly sitting that had originally been scheduled for April 21 to 23. The group was led by Mohd Shukri Ramli (Sanglang), alongside Muhammad Azmir Azizan (Santan), Asrul Aimran Abd Jalil (Kayang), Razali Saad (Simpang Empat), Wan Badariah Wan Saad (Mata Ayer) and Haziq Asyraf Dun (Beseri). Abu Bakar, however, denied that the postponement was linked to fears he could be ousted. He also insisted the PN administration in Perlis remained intact despite Abdul Hadi’s remarks that PAS was reassessing its political ties and cooperation with Bersatu ahead of the 16th general election. “We in Perlis PN continue to maintain brotherhood and, whatever happens, political dynamics can shift over time. “However, Perlis remains under the PN government,” he said.
Share
Original story
Continue reading at Malay Mail Education
www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia
Read full article

Summary generated from the RSS feed of Malay Mail Education. All article rights belong to the original publisher. Click through to read the full piece on www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia.