skipToContent
United StatesAll policy

US denies triggering Norway’s export halt, says it helped integrate missile components for Malaysia

Malay Mail Education United States
US denies triggering Norway’s export halt, says it helped integrate missile components for Malaysia
KUALA LUMPUR, May 21 — The United States has denied any involvement in Norway’s decision to revoke export approval for a naval strike missile system ordered by Malaysia. The clarification came after reports by Free Malaysia Today and other outlets highlighted Norway’s move to cancel the export permit for the Naval Strike Missile (NSM) system supplied by Kongsberg Defence & Aerospace under a 2018 contract. Norway had earlier announced that it would limit defence exports to its “allies and closest partners,” prompting speculation that US‑made components embedded in the NSM, including advanced guidance gyroscopes, may have triggered American export controls. US embassy chargé d’affaires David H Gamble Jr said Washington supported Malaysia’s efforts to strengthen its maritime defence, adding that the US backed Malaysia’s acquisition of a naval strike capability to respond to regional threats and to protect its sovereignty. “The US remains committed to our robust defence and security relationship with Malaysia and further advancing it through our memorandum of understanding on defence cooperation, 14 regular bilateral and multilateral exercises, professional development, and maritime security assistance,” said Gamble. He said the US had even facilitated the integration of restricted guidance components for the NSM in 2024 to ensure the system could be delivered to Malaysia. The US Naval Institute reported that the missiles were initially scheduled for delivery to Malaysia in early March but that Malaysian officials were later “notified of unspecified delays.” Defence minister Datuk Seri Khaled Nordin said Malaysia was seeking more than RM1 billion in compensation from Kongsberg for direct and indirect costs arising from the cancellation. He said Malaysia had already paid 95 per cent of the RM634 million procurement value and that indirect costs included removing installed missile mounting systems and integrating replacement systems from other suppliers. Prime minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim also criticised Norway’s decision, saying it was unacceptable and that Malaysia had “faithfully honoured every obligation under the contract since 2018.” He said Norway had not shown the same level of good faith in fulfilling its commitments.
Share
Original story
Continue reading at Malay Mail Education
www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia
Read full article

Summary generated from the RSS feed of Malay Mail Education. All article rights belong to the original publisher. Click through to read the full piece on www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia.