“US lawmakers press CENTCOM chief over Iran war civilian deaths Democratic Representative John Garamendi questioned Admiral Brad Cooper during a hearing on Tuesday over whether the Pentagon believes hostilities between Tehran and Washington have ceased since last month’s ceasefire announcement. Cooper said the US remained in a ceasefire despite attacks by both sides in recent weeks. “That’s not my question,” Garamendi replied. “My question was is the military assessment that hostilities have ceased since April?” Cooper responded that this was his assessment, while adding that “Iran pushes it.” The House Armed Services Committee’s top Democrat also pressed Cooper over the bombing of a school that killed more than 165 people during the early stages of the US-Israeli war on Iran. Cooper said the incident remained under investigation and described the strike as complex, saying the school was located on a missile site operated by Iran’s Revolutionary Guard. He said he was committed to transparency once the inquiry was complete, but Democratic Representative Adam Smith responded: “I do not trust that answer.” Smith said he respected Cooper but accused US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth of showing a “callous disregard” for civilian lives.
Original story
Continue reading at Middle East Eye
www.middleeasteye.net
Summary generated from the RSS feed of Middle East Eye. All article rights belong to the original publisher. Click through to read the full piece on www.middleeasteye.net.
